Comic-Con is undoubtedly the biggest gathering of coolness in all the geek kingdom. Whether you’re there or not this year, there’s some stuff you need to know—and that’s where we come in! This entry marks the beginning of our four part recap series on all the cool shit unveiled at Comic-Con. Let’s get it started!
- Fox announced that Joseph Trank, director of the awesome Chronicle, will be helming the reboot of the Fantastic Four film franchise. He’ll be putting his other geeky film projects on the back burner, including an adaptation of Shadow of the Colossus.
- Marvel’s Jeff Parker announced during their “Next Big Thing” panel that the Red Hulk series will become Red She-Hulk beginning with issue #58. I can just hear all the menstruation jokes now.
- Neil Gaiman and artist J.H. Williams III are set to begin working on prequel mini-series to Sandman.
- ThinkGeek announced a Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote that operates via motion controls. It’s priced at $99.95 and can even control your iPod Dock. Pretty impressive—what’s next, a TARDIS shower stall?
- Disney announced that cult favorite Alan Tudyk(Firefly, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil) has joined the cast of Wreck-It Ralph as King Candy. Dubstep superstar Skrillex will also be helping on the score, so expect some delightfully 8-bit inspired wub-wubs.
- Also on the Disney front, the first trailer for Oz: The Great and Powerful, directed by Sam Raimi and starring James Franco, was unveiled. Watch it now!
- Lionsgate TV announced they acquired the rights to do a live-action adaptation of Zenescope’s Wonderland comic series. Expect casting news regarding big-breasted actresses to fill the skimpy wardrobe soon.
Photo courtesy of Kotaku
- Remember that awesome Portal Gun replica that NECA recently released? Well now you can complete your Chell(and whatever the male equivalent would be) ensemble! NECA announced they are releasing socks modeled after Chell’s Long Fall Boots, as well as a replica Aperture jumpsuit! Now you just need a GLaDOS smoke alarm, and you can truly live the Portal experience.
- Capcom unveiled their partnership with Assassin’s Fist Limited(badass name!) to produce a live-action Street Fighter series. Joey Ansah(most famous for kicking the shit out of Matt Damon in The Bourne Ultimatum), who directed and starred as Akuma in the excellent Street Fighter: Legacy fan film, is helming the project. The series is said to follow the origins of Ryu, Ken, and Akuma during their training with master Gouken. So psyched for this—I may Hadouken in my pants.