A lot of awesome-bombs were dropped on Friday, but Saturday’s panels declared full-on war! Lots of cool announcements—including some details on the long awaited Silent Hill sequel—but Marvel really went all out when they unveiled their plans for “Phase 2″ of their movie universe and Warner Brothers dished out some solid hits as well. Check out the highlights:
- During the Once Upon a Time panel it was revealed that the characters of Sleeping Beauty, Jack(of “and the Beanstalk” fame), Mulan, and Captain Hook will be joining the citizens of Storybrooke, and we’ll finally find out what fairytale character Dr. Whale is. I swear, if he’s the whale from Pinocchio, I’m going to be pissed.
- At the panel for Django Unchained, Quentin Tarantino revealed that his re-imagined Django is in fact an ancestor of John Shaft. That’s pretty cool I guess.
- Some details for Silent Hill: Revelation 3D were unveiled at the Open Road Films panel. The film was shot in 3D and promises to be incredibly faithful to the video game franchise, with easter eggs hidden throughout for fans to find. Universal executives also announced that there will be a Silent Hill attraction at this year’s Halloween Horror Nights, featuring “film quality sets”.
Raleigh and Mako’s Jaeger Pilot Suits from Pacific Rim. Photos courtesy of ScreenRant
- At the Legendary Pictures panel, details regarding geek god Guillermo Del Toro’s Pacific Rim were discussed, including that around six Kaiju(the giant monsters) will be featured in the film, though around forty designs were made. Very fitting with the presentation, a surprise preview for a new Godzilla reboot was shown.
- Twelve minutes of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was shown, and Andy Serkis revealed that his part as Gollum was heavily extended from the original script.
- A new poster for Zack Snyder’s Superman epic Man of Steel was unveiled(above), and several scenes were shown. It was stated that this is a completely fresh, new start for Superman, bearing no ties to the older films, including John Williams’ iconic score. The panel also confirmed that a teaser trailer will be attached to The Dark Knight Rises and Snyder himself refused to confirm that General Zod is the villain. Seriously Zack?
- Not to be outdone by Capcom’s Street Fighter series announcement on Thursday, an announcement video for season 2 of Mortal Kombat: Legacy web-series was shown(above), which details the plot, featured kombatants, and criticisms of season one. Sounds awesome, I really dug the first season!
- While there were some awesome things discussed and revealed throughout the day, Marvel Studios really stole the show—if not the entire convention. They announced the next five films planned for “Phase 2″ of the Marvel Movie Universe: Iron Man 3(previously announced) directed by Shane Black(Kiss Kiss Bang Bang), Thor: The Dark World directed by Alan Taylor(Game of Thrones), Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man directed by Edgar Wright(about time this is getting off the ground!), and Captain America: The Winter Soldier directed by Anthony & Joe Russo(Community TV series). The title cards and expected release dates can be seen in the graphic above.
- After endless speculation, Ben Kingsley’s character in Iron Man 3 was finally confirmed to be The Mandarin.
- Edgar Wright made a surprise appearance and showed some particularly badass test footage of Ant-Man beating up two guards.
- I’m especially excited for the Captain America sequel, being a huge fan of the character, and because the sequel seems to be following Ed Brubaker’s amazing run on the comics—which is probably my favorite storyline—if the subtitle is any indication.
- Concept art for Guardians of the Galaxy was shown(above). It’s about damn time we get to see Rocket Raccoon kick some ass on screen!
- Finally, Deadpool himself crashed the Marvel Video Games panel to unveil his own game, made by Activision and High Moon Studios. Watch the teaser below!